Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services (SAFIS) Program
Massachusetts law now requires fingerprint-based criminal history record checks for all public and private school employees and transportation providers, and for designated volunteers and employees of school vendors. The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) and the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC), the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS) has partnered with MorphoTrust USA to implement the Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services (SAFIS) Program and provides convenient applicant fingerprinting enrollment centers throughout the commonwealth of Massachusetts.
NOTE: This Registration Guide is intended to provide guidance to individuals who are employed or seek employment in PreK-12 public and private schools in the Commonwealth.
Copy of the Superintendent's Memo
Overview of the Fingerprinting Process
The following is an overview of the SAFIS fingerprinting process:
- An applicant/employee registers for a fingerprinting appointment via either the MorphoTrust USA IdentoGo™ registration website or the MorphoTrust Massachusetts Customer Service (telephone) Center at (866) 349-8130;
- Provide your East Bridgewater School District and ESE Organization Code: 00830000
- An applicant/employee goes to a MorphoTrust USA IdentoGo™ enrollment center on the date and time selected by him/her and has his/her fingerprints taken;
- Individuals will pay a fee to comply with this requirement of $35.00 for non-licensed employees and $55.00 for DESE Licensed Professionals (including those with pending applications/licenses).
- You will be provided with a fingerprint receipt. A copy of this receipt must be returned to Barbara Polese in the Office of the Superintendent as a confirmation that the fingerprints were captured.
- The applicant’s/employee’s fingerprints are sent electronically to the Massachusetts State Police (MSP) for a statewide criminal history record check and to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for a nationwide criminal record check;
- The results of both the State and National fingerprint-based criminal history record checks are returned to the Massachusetts Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) for review; and
- The State and National fingerprint-based criminal history record check results are returned to the district or school identified by the applicant/employee during the registration process
For more information please visit:
If you have any further questions, please contact Barbara Polese, Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent of Schools at firstname.lastname@example.org